Yesterday I had my 32 week scan. I’ve written lots before about my pregnancy and how I need additional scans at 28, 32, 36 and 40 weeks, due to the fact that I have Polycystic Kidney Disease. This is mainly because I am at increased risk of pre-eclampsia, so they need to keep an eye on the size of the baby and regularly monitor my blood pressure, bloods and urine. So, here’s my story of Polycystic Kidney Disease and pregnancy at 32 weeks.
Fortunately, my first pregnancy was fairly uneventful as far as my health was concerned, but I had a caesarean section due to M measuring a little small, and being breech. For me, these additional scans are more to see what position the baby is in and the likelihood of whether I’ll need another caesarean, rather than any concerns over my health. I am lucky in that my renal function is good. I came through my last pregnancy with my kidney function unscathed. I’m hopeful that the same will be true of this pregnancy. I’ve been hoping for a VBAC. However, if baby turns out to be breech at 36 weeks like M, then I’ll be opting for another c-section.
At my 32 week scan with M, she was extended breech. Feet in face; bum in my pelvis. M didn’t move from that position for the remainder of the pregnancy, hence the caesarean. I went into my scan yesterday hoping that this baby would be in a good position, but more than half expecting that she’d be in a similar position to M.
Sure enough, the scan confirmed that, just like M, this baby is in a breech position. To say I’m disappointed is something of an understatement! Having spoken to the consultant, we have booked in a caesarean section for 39 weeks. We’ll cancel it if, by some miracle, the baby has turned head-down by 36 weeks. We’ll have another scan at 36 weeks to see what’s what. After my experience with M, I’m not holding out much hope. So I guess it’s time to focus on how to facilitate the speediest recovery possible from a second c-section!